WATER CLAIMS GUIDE
Our certified technicians are on call 24 hours a day. Our priority is to mitigate damage to your property. The first 72 hours of any water damage loss is critical as the proper steps can prevent further damage. Water damage can be complex and should always be handled by a qualified technician.
THE FIRST STEPS
- Homeowner will be asked to sign a work authorization form. This authorizes First Response Restoration & Cleaning Specialists to commence required work to mitigate damages.
- Our qualified water technicians will take the emergency measures to stop additional flooding and reduce further damage to your property.
- The scope of damage will be assessed and a recommendation will be made if your insurance company needs to be involved. If insurance is required, we will work with your adjustor to complete the emergency repair.
- Asbestos testing of drywall and vinyl flooring will be taken to ensure site safety. Removal of these materials are only completed when test results are confirmed. Please note results take approximately two business days.
Situations vary with each claim, depending on the extent of the damage and whether the water is clean or contaminated. A flood caused by a ruptured pipe in your home is typically clean water. Water loss resulting from a sewer backup brings contaminated water into your home. This situation can pose a health risk if not handled properly. Steps taken may include:
- Removal and disposal of all porous items such as carpeting, drywall or furniture
- Immediate cleaning and disinfecting
- Installation of drying equipment
- Remediation procedures if mould or asbestos is found
A scope of work required to bring your property back to its pre-loss state is prepared. If the damage is significant, you are typically involving your insurance company. First Response will prepare a quote to submit to your insurance company.
Reconstruction will take place when emergency repairs are completed. First Response Restorations, along with your insurance adjustor, will work with you to repair your home, and restore or replace any personal belongings.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long will I have to wait for my property to dry?
Drying times can vary due to several factors, but in most cases, drying should be complete within seven days. Although your carpet or flooring may feel dry, padding and subfloor may still be wet. We will monitor the drying process closely—our moisture readings will confirm when the area is completely dry.
Why are air movers and dehumidifiers brought in?
Water can infiltrate walls and floors, affecting drywall, baseboard, sub-flooring, etc. Our equipment is installed to efficiently dry these surfaces as quickly as possible. To ensure your safety, and the speed of the drying process, please contact us before turning off or moving any equipment.
Why have my contents, such as wet clothing, bedding and area rugs been removed?
Depending on the extent of the damage, these restorable items are taken back to our shop for specialized cleaning, drying and deodorizing. Once cleaned, they are documented and stored until your home repairs are complete.
Should I turn up the heat or open the windows?
Our restoration technicians will set your thermostat to optimize drying speed. Altering the drying environment can prolong the process. If you have specific concerns, please contact us directly.
Will my flooring be replaced?
Flooring replacement varies based on the type of water damage, along with the type of flooring affected. If replacement of the flooring is not approved, you flooring will be returned to its pre-loss state by cleaning, drying, refinishing, etc.
Can I walk on the floor or carpet during the drying process?
We recommend you avoid contact with areas that are being dried. If you must enter the area, please use caution and always wear shoes.
My utility costs increased during the time of the restoration. Can I make a claim for this?
Yes, all equipment onsite is documented and the cost of power usage will be reimbursed to the home owner.
How long will the emergency and reconstruction process take to complete?
A straightforward claim can be completed in 2-3 months. Property with significant damages can take much longer. Please speak with your project manager for a timeline estimate on your specific repairs.